Sunday, November 23, 2008

To God Be the Glory

It is Thanksgiving week, and oh what God gave us to be thankful for this Lord's Day. My beautiful, intelligent, tender-hearted daughter Hannah became a church member this morning. We are presbyterian, so Hannah was baptized as an infant. However, after working through the catechism and growing in many ways, she expressed a desire to make a profession of faith and begin taking communion. When we spoke with our pastor about it, he said he likes to meet with young people before they take membership vows. They met each week for a few months. He had her memorize scripture and made sure that she had an understanding of what it means to be a Christian. They talked about serious theological issues. She understands that she is a sinner saved by God's grace. I think she knows much more scripture than I do. I believe she loves the Lord and loves His word. Oh my, what more could a mother want for her children?

Yesterday, she went before the session, and this morning she stood before the congregation while the pastor welcomed her. She will take communion for the first time in a few weeks.

We sang How Great Thou Art before Grace went before the church. That is one of a handful of songs that I simply cannot sing without being moved to tears. This morning it was especially powerful to me. I could not help but think of the great things God has done for my wonderful family and for me. I am certainly not the mother I dreamed of being. I do not pray with my children as much as I should. We do not always have family Bible reading (We try...). I am certainly not the example of a gentle, quiet, even-tempered mother that I wish I was. I fail in so many ways, and Hannah (all the children) deserve much better. Yet, I know I am trying. They know I am trying. They know I love them, and I know they love me. Even when they want to wring my neck or they think I'm the meanest mom EVER, deep down, we love one another. That is what God has given me. How Great Thou Art. How unworthy we are. God has brought my sweet daughter unto himself, given her his name.

The tears come again even as I write, and all I can think is to pray that God will allow me to see all my children come to know him, and to thank him for such incredible blessings. May I be a better leader and better example for Hannah's siblings, and may I help her grow in grace.

To God be the glory. Great things He has done.

Bev

1 comment:

momtofivekids said...

This is so wonderful! I'm adding you to my favorites.
Blessings!