Monday, November 3, 2008

Rustic Autumn Fruit Tart

I've returned from my long weekend in the mountains. I enjoyed spending time with family (as always!), and my stepmother seems to be feeling little better.

I made this dessert a week or so ago, but have been too busy to post the recipe. It is yet another from the October/November 2008 issue of Taste of Home. I really recommend that you pick up a copy. There are so many great recipes in it, and we are still working on our way through them.

I have never made a pie before, so I thought even the simple preparation for this dish would be a challenge, but it was honestly very easy. I adapted the recipe a bit, so I am recording it my way rather than the way it is in the magazine. My family LOVED this! It's yummy, but you really do not need to feel guilty about indulging in a small serving. I topped ours with whipped topping. (I like ff whipped topping. It's not for everyone, but I sometimes have a few...well, okay, sometimes more than a few bites for dessert.)

The recipe (Plan ahead. Butter and cream cheese must be softened, and dough must chill for one hour. Make this after lunch for dinner tonight if you are home during the day, or after dinner the night before.):

1/2 cup butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened (I used reduced-fat; it worked well.)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I will try subbing a little whole wheat flour the next time.)
2 large apples, sliced but not peeled
1 medium pear, sliced but not peeled (Peel the fruit if you wish. We like peels left on. It is easier and gives more fiber. The peel softens in baking, but if you do not like that texture, remove it.)
4 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup orange juice
1/3 cup brown sugar (I was out and used white.)
1/2 cup apricot jam, warmed (This is added after the tart bakes.)

In a small mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add flour, beat just until mixture forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

In a large bowl, combine apples and pear. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and spices. Stir in orange juice until blended. Add sugar and blend. Add to the fruit mixture and gently stir to coat.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 14 inch circle (does not need to be a perfect circle). Place in a 9 inch pie pan. (The crust will spill over the edges.) Pour the fruit and juices into the pan. Fold up the edges of the pastry over the fruit, leaving the center uncovered.

Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Spread with apricot jam. (I warmed the jam in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave, then used a spoon to pour/brush it over the pie.) Let cool on a cooling rack.

So simple and easy. I suspect this would work with lots of other fruits, but I am not a baking expert. I'll try some variety and let you know since my family insists I make this again. (I just love when they like something enough to ask for an encore!)

Have a wonderful, healthy day!

Bev

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Yummy! I can't wait to try this one!