Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Who needs toys?



Why do we spend money on toys? Our living room is overflowing with playthings purchased at Toys R Us and Walmart. But my darling 2 year old, Hope, usually prefers to play with pots, pans, plastic plates and bowls, or even Splenda packets. She woke up and found me working at the computer at 5:30 this morning. She reached for the box of sweetener I had set out while I was pouring the coffee. She took each packet out of the box, one at a time, and placed it on the table (all while squirming in my lap as I tried to finish the newsletter I was typing for our homeschool group). She carried the box into the living room after breakfast and stacked the packets on the couch, counting in both English and Spanish (thank you very much, Dora and Diego). She stacked them on her legs, on my legs, in my palm, on the treadmill, and lots of other places throughout the day. She threw some away, but we caught her before too many made it to the trash.

As I was making dinner tonight, she abandoned her little yellow treasures and got out the cutting boards, pizza pans, and plastic trays. She spread them across the kitchen then used them as stepping stones as she counted some more. What fun. I hope this is a sign of her creativity and simple tastes. May she always find joy in the everyday things of life.

No comments: