Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pan Sauteed Chicken with Vegetables and Herbs

We tried a new recipe again last night, and it turned out well. I adapted the recipe from a Swanson ad I found in a magazine. It turned out well, but took a little time to prepare. It tastes much like a pot roast with chicken as the base, very tender and juicy with all the flavors blending so nicely. Everyone over the age of four loved it. I wonder if this would work just as well cooking in the crockpot. I think browning the chicken and the vegetables in the skillet first helps bring out the flavor. I will definitely make this again.

Pan Sauteed Chicken with Vegetables and Herbs
(adapted slightly from Swanson recipe)

ground black pepper
paprika
4 chicken breast halves (boneless or bone-in)
2 tsp olive oil
2 small red onions, cut into chunks
1 lb new potatoes, cut into chunks (I used Idaho. Worked just fine.)
8 oz fresh whole baby carrots (about 16), green tops trimmed to 1 inch (I used pre-washed baby carrots that I had on hand.)
1 ½ cups chicken stock
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dried oregano or 1 Tbsp fresh
1 tsp dried thyme or 1 Tbsp fresh

1. Heat the oven to 350. Sprinkle chicken on one side with pepper and paprika. Heat the oil in a 12-inch oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. (I do not have an oven safe skillet. I used my deep skillet, then transferred to a glass 9 x 13 to put in the oven.) Add the chicken, seasoned side down. Season the other side and cook until it is well browned on all sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside. (This helps the juices come back out in the meat.)

2. Add the onions and potatoes to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, stock, lemon juice, and oregano and heat to a boil. Return chicken to the skillet, or transfer everything to an oven-safe pan.

3. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender. (I cooked it thoroughly in the skillet.) Sprinkle with the thyme, if desired.

Blessings,
Bev

No comments: