Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Cream of Broccoli Soup

We had another family favorite last night, cream of broccoli soup. A few years ago, I would have thumbed my nose at the very thought, but becoming a mother and joining Weight Watchers (ahem, not so faithful there, but not willing to give up) encouraged me to learn more about healthy eating. It's almost a passion for me now. I love, love, love trying new recipes and experiencing new tastes. Most importantly, I hope I am giving my children the tools they need to be healthy eaters all of their lives. Oh, they love this soup, too. Hannah did not love it from the start, but now she adds shredded cheese and sometimes sour cream, and it works for her. Abel even requests this for his birthday dinner some years. The toddlers do not eat soup yet, but I keep putting it in front of them. They will eventually learn to try it.

Cream of Broccoli Soup
1 medium onion, chopped (or a dash of onion powder)
1 medium garlic clove, minced (or a dash of garlic powder)
2 lbs fresh or frozen broccoli, chopped
4 cups fat free chicken broth
1 cup fat free evaporated milk
salt and pepper to taste

If using onion and garlic, simmer it in ¼ cup of water until onion is soft, about 10 minutes. (If using the powders, just begin with the next step and add powders to the broth.) Add broccoli and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down heat and simmer until broccoli is soft but still green, about 8 minutes. Do not cover pot or broccoli will turn grey.
Remove from heat and blend a few cups at a time in the blender or use hand held blender. Add evaporated milk and seasonings. Garnish with fresh chives, if desired.

Yield: Four servings, 1 ¾ cup each. Core or 2 points per serving on WW.

No comments: