Thursday, October 30, 2008

Quick Dinner - Pizza on Pita Bread

Sometimes, no matter how much you plan, a wrench gets thrown into the schedule and you have to make due. That happened today, and I did not have the time or energy to make what was on our menu. I admit that I was tempted to ask Mark to pick up $6 Hot and Ready pizzas from Little Caesars on the way home, but I resisted. I had whole wheat pita bread and that chicken I had put in the freezer a few days ago. Ah, pizza ingredients.

I spread pizza sauce from a jar on the pita bread. (If I had remembered, I would have sprayed a little olive oil on them first.) I added bite-sized pieces of the chicken and some pineapples. (Any ingredients would work, but I avoid the fatty, though delicious, pepperoni and sausage.) We were out of mozzarella cheese, so I used the fiesta blend we had. I had two cookie sheets with 6 pizzas each on them. I baked them at the same time in a 350 oven until the cheese was melted and the pizza was warmed through (10-15 minutes?). While those baked, I chopped some spinach, tomatoes, and cucumbers for a salad. The little girls will not eat a lot of fresh vegetables yet (but I keep putting the veg. on their plates and urging them to take bites), so I heated some corn for them. Abel and Elizabeth had prepared a jello and fruit dessert earlier in the day, and it turned out really well. Good job, you two! There you go. Dinner was saved with very little effort, and this was much healthier than Little Ceasers (with all due respect to the pizza industry...). Yay for us!

I still have recipes from last weekend and some funny stories to share. I will get to those next week, but today I am off to visit my parents. Enjoy the weekend!

Bev

No comments: