Saturday, October 18, 2008

Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili

The October/November issue of Taste of Home magazine has some fabulous fall recipes. We tried the following chili recipe this week. (I do not know if it is against the rules to post recipes from published sources here, but I will remove them if someone persuades me to, like by telling me they are swearing out a warrant for my arrest.) I used rotisserie chicken instead of turkey, and 2 tsp instead of 2 tbsp of oil. I would not have expected these flavors to go well together, but it was really yummy. Try it on a cool fall day.

Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili

1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups chicken broth
2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
21/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
1 can (15 oz) solid pack pumpkin
1 can diced tomatoes (undrained)
2 tsp dried parsley flakes
2 tsp chili powder
1 ½ tsp dried oregano
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp salt

In a large skillet, sauté the onion, yellow pepper, and garlic in oil until tender. Transfer to a 5-qt slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients.

Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through.

Yield: 10 servings

We are off to a cookout with our homeschool group. It is a beautiful, crisp day here in Lexington, and I am excited about enjoying the fresh air and friendship.

Blessings,
Bev

No comments: