Sunday, October 5, 2008

Here we go again...

I'm terribly embarrassed and disappointed about the lack of posting I've done since starting a blog. But today, I'm starting over. I spent a lot of time this summer working on homeschooling and getting my house and yard in order, and though none of those is in perfect condition, it is time to work on the next items on the list: blogging, finishing my medical transcription course, and WINNING THE BATTLE WITH MY WEIGHT. Oh, I am so tired of losing 3-5 pounds, then eating like a bird for the next several weeks. (Birds can eat half or more of their body weight each day; I think I've done that a few times lately.) It's so frustrating!

But I digress. This is not the time to focus on the negatives or the past. This is the time for looking ahead and getting on the right track. For one thing, I am changing the focus of my blog. One of the reasons I do not write, even when I have a few minutes while Mark is putting the baby to bed and the house is quiet, is that I do not think I have anything intersting to write. But one thing that is always interesting to me is food. I love to look for or create new recipes, and I spend a lot of time each week planning and preparing meals for my family. It gives me much joy. I am trying to learn more and more about healthy eating not only for my wonderful husband and children, but also for myself. I did not grow up eating like the food pyramid says I should (and I was thin for the first 30 or so years!), but I want my children to taste and enjoy a variety of fruits, vegetables, and other good foods.

So, I plan to share recipes we try or that I create. Someday, after I figure it all out (!), I would love to publish a cookbook with menus, recipes, ideas for feeding children of all ages, etc. For now, though, I will focus on feeding my family, reaching my goal weight, keeping up with school work, teaching English at our co-op, keeping the house in order, enjoying the children, spending time with Mark, growing spiritually... Yes, all that... and in my free time, I'll... :-)

My first recipe is one I sort of made up. I have made banana bread for years, and lots of people really seemed to enjoy it. It is full of shortening, white flour, and sugar, though. I wanted to make something tasty but a little more nutritious. We have "fend for yourself" mornings a couple of times a week, so having healthy muffins on hand is really nice and helps me not feel guilty about not cooking a hot meal.

Banana Blueberry Bran Muffins

3 med-lg bananas, mashed and set aside
1 to 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, rinsed and drained
1 1/4 cup skim milk
1 cup bran cereal (Bran Buds or Fiber One, for example)
2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup brown (or white) sugar
1 egg
1/2 - 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder

Combine cereal and milk in a large bowl and set aside to soften while preparing other ingredients.
Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder and stir lightly. Add egg, banana, and applesauce to cereal and stir. Pour dry ingredients into wet and stir only until evenly moistened. Add blueberries.
Spoon into muffin cups (about 2/3 full). Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until tester (aka, toothpick) comes out clean. (Test often until you see how long they take with your oven and bakeware.)

I used the large muffin cups and this recipe filled 12 cups. It may do 20 or so of the regular cups.

My children loved these. They are not overly sweet, but very yummy. Top with a small pat of butter or your favorite spread, or have them alone with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee. Enjoy!

My time is up. The babies are fussy and snotty, so I have to go help. I WILL BE BACK TOMORROW...OR TUESDAY...OR... and I will discuss my other goals and other recipes.

Bev

No comments: