Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Chunky Chicken Slaw

I hit another homerun yesterday, though I really thought this one was a foul ball.

I am making two dishes with chicken this week, so I did a little prep work to make things inexpensive and easier. Before bed on Sunday night, I removed the skin from a whole chicken (not necessary, but I wanted to cut back on fat), placed the chicken in my crockpot, and added a good coating of lemon pepper (no water). I turned the pot on low and let it cook all night. When I got up, I turned off the crockpot, but left the lid on while the chicken cooled. After breakfast, I used a fork and tongs to remove the chicken (it honestly fell right off the bone). I divided it into two bowls; froze one for later in the week and put the other in the refrigerator for the slaw.

After lunch, I prepared the slaw so the flavors would have some time to blend before dinner. It is so quick and easy to make.

The recipe:
(This makes a lot. You may want to halve the recipe.)
2 cups or so of cooked chicken (use leftovers, rotisserie, whatever is easy or available)
1 small cabbage
2 medium carrots
2 scallions, 1 small shallot, or your favorite onion
1 celery stalk
1 Granny Smith (or your favorite) apple
any other fresh vegetables you have that you think might be yummy
Ranch dressing

Shred all the vegetables in a food processor, in small batches, of course. (I put the mixture in the microwave for a few minutes. I have that issue with raw veg.)
Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add it to the vegetables. Add Ranch dressing, enough to coat, and stir. (I set some aside to mix with fat-free dressing, which I honestly like. Everyone else had Hidden Valley.)

I served this with a pot of cream of broccoli soup. I thought it was okay, but I did not love it. Everyone else did. Mark even took the leftovers for lunch today. I guess I will be making it again.

Enjoy!

Blessings,
Bev

No comments: