Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Meusli

I truly love learning about healthy eating and introducing exciting new dishes to my family. But when I am following recipes with titles I cannot pronounce or ingredients I have never heard of, I ask myself if this is really necessary. The answer: yes and no. We may lead long, healthy lives without eating this way, but our chances are greater if we learn to consume (and enjoy!) a wider variety of the good-for-us foods God has so richly provided. I did not grow up eating broccoli, spinach, butternut squash (yum!), and so many other delicious vegetables. I ate iceburg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, carrots, and white potatoes (which are all very good), but I also enjoyed Cap'n Crunch cereal, ravioli from a can, and potted meat. I am trying to develop a taste for more good foods as an adult, but it is not always easy. I believe if I introduce my children to a variety of tastes and flavors, they will be more likely to make better choices as adults.

Thus, I made muesli for breakfast yesterday. I used a recipe from an Australian cookbook that my husband found, so I had to convert some of the measurements (how much is 200 grams of yoghurt, and why is it spelled that way Down Under?!).

The result: I would not choose this over Cap’n Crunch, if we had Cap’n Crunch in the house, which we never do. Oh, but have you had the peanut butter flavor? Sigh. Good stuff, even if it is puffed sugar.



But I digress…This blog is about healthy living and wise choices, after all. I have trouble eating raw fruits, vegetables, and nuts (allergies), so this was not for me. However, my husband and children LOVED it! They had the leftovers for breakfast today. Wow. Very nutritious and easy.

The recipe (adapted slightly from The Total Well Being Diet, Book 2):

(This must be prepared the night before, so if you make it, and I highly recommend that you try it at least once, plan ahead.)

1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup untoasted meusli (I got this at Whole Foods. Grocery stores may carry it, but our Super Wal-Mart did not.)
1 cup wheat bran
2 cups hot water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup almonds
2/3 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1 large Granny Smith apple, diced (I left the peel on -- lots of fiber.)
Your choice of fresh or frozen fruit for topping
Honey

Place the oats, meusli, and bran in a large ceramic dish and blend. (This makes a lot. I used a 2-quart CorningWare dish). Add the water and lemon juice. Allow to soak for 30 minutes. Add almonds, yogurt, and apple, and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with additional yogurt, fruit, and/or honey to taste.

This will keep for 3-4 days, if it lasts that long!

Enjoy!

No comments: