Saturday, January 10, 2009

White Bean Chili (Crockpot)

Yes, we've been eating a lot of soup and chili lately, but they are so easy that I can't resist. I also love using my crockpot because there is less mess and it is less expensive to operate than the oven. Here is another meal that I hope you will make for your family. This makes a huge amount, so you may want to make less or plan to freeze several portions for later. In fact, I had planned to freeze half, but a wrinkle came along and I just served it two nights in a row. (There were no complaints!) I added a green salad and a pan of cornbread.

This is a wonderful dish, and it gives you a chance to eat some of those legumes you probably do not eat very often, like butter beans, black-eyed peas, and garbanzo beans (which I love). The original recipe is from Fix It and Forget It, but I always put my own spin on things. As with many of my dishes, remember that no amounts are specific and ingredients can be adapted to your family’s tastes. You may also want to increase the amount of the spices. Beans are really good for us, but they can be bland.

Make this. It is so good!

White Bean Chili
Makes 10-12 generous servings

1-2 lb ground beef and/or turkey, browned and drained (Use as much as you wish. I had about 1.5 lbs of beef in the freezer, so that's what I used.)
3 bell peppers, chopped
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced (If you use garlic often, invest in the pre-minced stuff in the produce section.)
28-30 ounces chicken or vegetable broth
1 can each of butter beans, black-eyed peas, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), navy or great northern beans. (Remember, if you cook from dry, 1 can is about 2 cups.)
(I had kidney beans in the freezer, so I threw in some of those, too.)
4 ounce can chopped green chilies
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.

Enjoy!

(Side note: We've been so busy since school started back that I have not had time to play here in blog-world like I enjoy doing. I do have some stories to share and some things to add to my site. They will come when they come... I hope all is well in your world. If you visit, please leave a comment and let me know how you are doing. I love hearing from you and I appreciate the sweet ladies who often have something to say.

And now, it's almost time to go shopping. I love getting out early on Saturday so I have the store almost to myself and I can enjoy some peace and quiet. I may even treat myself to one of those fabulous warm pretzels from Sam's when I'm finished! Have a fabulous weekend! )

No comments: