Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Quiche

This quiche makes a quick and easy Sunday brunch. I often prepare the mixture before church, then refrigerate. I put it in the oven when we get home, and it's done by the time clothes are changed and put away, and the table is set.

The recipe I started with called for egg substitute, but I use the real thing. Eggs are so tasty, versatile, and nutritious, with only about 75 calories each. (I know there are special medical circumstances that call for using the substitutes, which work fine in this dish.)

The recipe:

(Our last name) Quiche

1 onion
5 slices Canadian Bacon

Sauté together in a bit of water until onions are soft and brown.

Add 1 (small) bag of frozen broccoli to skillet with 2 TBSP water. Cover and cook 4-5 minutes.

Uncover. Add 4 tbsp all purpose flour. Stir. (You can skip the flour if you wish. I sometimes forget it, and the quiche still has a nice texture.)

Pour into a sprayed 9 x 13 pan. Combine 8 eggs and 1 ½ cups of skim milk. (More eggs and less milk, if desired.) Add ½ cup parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.. Pour egg mixture over broccoli mixture.

(Cover and refrigerate for a few hours, if necessary.)

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until knife comes out clean.

Serve with fresh fruit and vegetables (carrots, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, strawberries, grapes, pears... ).

Yield: 8 servings. About 5 points per serving.

Yum!

Have a fabulous day!

Bev

2 comments:

Mary~Momathon said...

yummmmmm, my husband and I both just bought eggs. Thinking alike. now we have 6 doz in the fridge! yikes! Quiche sounds good. I usually make scrambled eggs for breakfast 3 or 4 times a week. Good food for little kids, and mommies.

Tiffany said...

Please stop by my blog, Eat at Home and leave a comment today. Each comment is worth $1 for the Global Food Crisis fund and all you have to do is comment.